Mica Corporation Career Opportunity
|Position Title:||Senior Chemist|
|Reports To:||Laboratory Director|
|Revision Date:||September 30, 2022|
As a leading developer and supplier of water-based primers and coatings, Mica Corporation (“Mica”) is growing our team to help solve the flexible converting industry’s toughest adhesion challenges. Our products are the industry standard, and our world-class team members are curious, creative thinkers and problem solvers. We promote a culture that values customer-centricity, innovation, sustainability, diversity, continuous improvement, and work-life balance. We have been in business for more than 50 years and are helping to enable a sustainable future for flexible packaging in more than 60 countries.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Chemist with a proven track record of developing innovative water-based coatings, adhesives, and emulsions that meet market demands.
The Senior Chemist is responsible for leading and promoting research & development (R&D) strategies and developing innovative and sustainable coatings, adhesives, and emulsions that meet market demand. Candidate will conduct product/process development in support of new and existing proprietary water-based coating systems in a laboratory and manufacturing plant environment. Candidate will also support scale-up and technical assistance to manufacturing.
Actively looking to fill one (1) home-based position, located:
1.) Connecticut- must be able to commute to Mica's headquarters in Shelton, CT five days per week.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
- Lead development of new coatings, adhesives, and emulsions in alignment with business objectives. Direct lab bench work required for product development and physical property testing duties. Must be capable of safely working on the bench and have experience with various polymer chemistries and polymer emulsion technologies. Development work to be guided by the Laboratory Director through the use of Design of Experiments.
- Develop and test existing products for new applications
- Work with Sales/Technical Service teams to evaluate new market opportunities
- Screen and select raw materials, designing formulations for new and improved products
- Design and improve process conditions by writing SOP for scale-up on new and improved polymer emulsion products and train operator on operation process. Comply with Quality management system policies and requirements.
- Share responsibilities for daily lab activities such as lab samples, data management, quality assurance/control, customer service requests, report preparation, and participation in laboratory safety committees.
- Keep data organized and provide test reports and additional communication as required
- Participate in different projects with potential customers through teleconferences, in-person discussions, and trials as needed.
- Maintain lab equipment and search for new beneficial equipment as needed.
- Perform patent searches to ensure no infringement of potential new development products
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge is qualifying.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement. It is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities required for the position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other duties as requested. Job duties are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate.
At Mica Corporation, customers and quality come first. Our team members treat each other with the utmost respect, courtesy, and professionalism. We encourage every team member to balance work and home priorities and to learn something new every day. We believe that through teamwork and mutual support, Mica’s team and business will continue to thrive.
BENEFITS AND PERKS
Mica offers the following benefits. Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Mica and the region where you work.
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Retirement & Profit-Sharing Plan
- Paid Sick and Personal Leave
- Paid Vacation Leave
- Paid Parental Leave